Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Television kiddie style...

Speaking as someone who is and has been an uncle for a long time, I can truly say that I’ve endured my fair share of children’s television. TV programs for children can be cute, annoying, strange or any combination of the three. As you might have guessed, I’m here to talk about the annoying and the strange.

Let’s start with the purple phenomenon himself…Barney. Beloved by millions of children, to adults he’s the most hated dinosaur this side of Godzilla. With it’s hypnotic ‘I love you, you love me, we’re a happy family’ theme song I’m not sure if this is a TV show or a cult for kids and the syrupy sweetness of this program is enough to kill a diabetic.

For strangeness, I thought it would be hard to top the Teletubbies with their oddly shaped antennae, video screen bellies and that flaming baby head sun thingy. However, I recently saw a show called Boohbah and all I can say is that it looks like the Teletubbies genitals detached themselves from their bodies and some how got their own show.

If you ever get a chance to see these programs back to back you will see what I mean and if another adult comes into the room while you’re watching, just tell them you are, uh…doing important social research, yeah…research.

No comments: